Trek date during Dzongri & Goecha La Trek: 11th November 2016 (Friday)
Trek distance: Around 21 Kms.
Difficulty level: Moderate to Strenuous
Highlights during the trek:
- Fabulous Thangsing camp-site in the lap of Himalayas at Oglanthang valley.
- Breathtaking views of Mt. Kangchenjunga, Mt. Pandim, Mt. Jopunu & Mt. Tenzing Khang at Thangsing camp-site.
- Memorable descent inside forest trails from Thangsing to Kokchurang.
- Beautiful & Scenic Prek Chu.
- Never ending 12 Kms. of trail from Kokchurang to Phedang inside Kangchenjunga National Park.
- N number of streams & waterfalls all the way.
- Heavenly Phedang viewpoint.
- Easy 5 Kms. of descent from Phedang to Tsokha.
- Wide & Beautiful Tsokha camp-site.
- Trekkers Hut at Tsokha camp-site.
- Beautiful Tsokha Monastery on the banks of small lake.
- Breathtaking views of Mt. Pandim, Mt. Jopunu, Mt. Tenzing Khang, Mt. Lama & Lamuney from Tsokha camp-site.
- Scenic views of Yuksum & Hill station of Pelling from Tsokha camp-site.
- Long day at Kangchenjunga National Park.
- Strenuous experience from Thangsing to Tsokha.
- Thanksgiving & Cake cutting inside Trekkers Hut at Tsokha camp-site.
Challenges: Moderate to Strenuous day of trek with walk inside dense forest during most of the day.
Altitude Meter: Please find altitude details for the day below:
- Thangsing camp-site comes around 3930 Mtr.
- Kokchurang camp-site comes around 3650 Mtr.
- Phedang comes around 3696 Mtr.
- Tsokha camp-site comes around 2980 Mtr.
Day in brief:
After achieving success in our Himalayan Expedition by reaching Goecha Pass, we thougt of reaching Kokchurang camp-site for overnight stay but due to some reasons we couldn’t reach Kokchurang and camped at Thangsing. This made our return journey to Tsokha on Day 7 bit longer one and tiresome. Since we have to cover long distance, Rhik informed everyone to be ready by 7:30 AM so we can have early breakfast and start by 8:30 AM.
Got up around 6:00 AM and freshen-up. Packed our Rucksack & all of us ready by 7:30 AM. Had breakfast around 7:45 AM and packed lunch distributed to 4 of us. Started our long return journey to Yuksum at 8:30 AM.
Path till Kokchurang was easiest one on the banks of Prek Chu with walk inside dense forest of Rhododendrons trees.
Reached Kokchurang at 9:30 AM and spent some time in photography too on famous Wooden Bridge of Kokchurang.
Started around 10:00 AM from Kokchurang and it was boring walk inside dense forest. We felt trail was longer one and waiting to reach Phedang as early as possible but trail looks like never ending.
Finally, after plenty of breaks reached Phedang around 2:08 PM. I feel this stretch is more than 12 Kms. cos of distance & longevity we took to reach Phedang. It was very tired feeling cos of distance we covered and tiredness of previous day achievements. Had Khichadi (Packed lunch) and relaxed for half an hour at Kitchen Hut of Phedang. I was very much in different world with tiredness 😛
Left for Tsokha from Phedang around 2:45 PM. It was easy descent of 5 Kms. since we are going down. Reached Tsokha camp-site at 5:00 PM and relaxed for the day.
Had Thanksgiving session at Trekkers Hut. We all gave Vote of Thanks followed by Cake cutting at 7:00 PM from trek crews.
Had dinner and told Bye Bye for the around 9:00 PM with final journey to Yuksum beckons us 🙂
Tsokha camp-site is 2nd camp-site during Dzongri & Goecha La Trek. It is one if its kind camp-site which is famous for Scenic views of Yuksum & Hill station of Pelling. If one is lucky golden hour beauties of Mountains can be witnessed form this camp-site. One monastery also available in Tsokha along with few village houses, Trekkers Hut.
Temperature: Temperature is around 0 to 5 degree Celsius at night.