Trek date during Dzongri & Goecha La Trek: 12th November 2016 (Saturday)
Trek distance: Around 17 Kms.
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Highlights during the trek:
- Wide & Beautiful Tsokha camp-site.
- Trekkers Hut at Tsokha camp-site.
- Beautiful Tsokha Monastery on the banks of small lake.
- Breathtaking views of Mt. Pandim, Mt. Jopunu, Mt. Tenzing Khang, Mt. Lama & Lamuney from Tsokha camp-site.
- Scenic views of Yuksum & Hill station of Pelling from Tsokha camp-site.
- Forest Bungalow and Coffee shop at Bakhim.
- High Altitude Milk Coffee at Bakhim sponsored by Rhik.
- Easy descent till 4th bridge from Tsokha.
- Huge 4th bridge of KNP to Prek Chur River.
- Famous Prek Chu River.
- Pretty Average Sachen camp-site.
- Horses, Mules & Dzos all over the valley.
- Pha Khola, Chu Che & Minthu Gang Rivers.
- A walk inside dense forest which is full of huge trees.
- Greenery everywhere.
- Clear trails with up & down walk inside KNP.
- Streams & Waterfalls throughout the trail.
- 3 Famous Bridges of different rivers inside KNP.
- A memorable walk with 2 time Everester from 2nd Bridge to Yuksum.
- Kathog & many Historical Monasteries around Yuksum.
- Kathog Lake Eco Park.
- Peaceful Yuksum.
- Last day of Dzongri & Goecha La Trek.
Challenges: Easy day of trek at KNP cos it is descending all the way & return journey. Moderate cos of distance need to be covered.
Altitude Meter: Please find altitude details for the day below:
- Tsokha Monastery comes around 2985 Mtr.
- Tsokha camp-site comes around 2980 Mtr.
- Sachen camp-site comes around 2189 Mtr.
- Pha Khola River comes around 1790 Mtr.
- Yuksum comes around 1780 Mtr.
Day in brief:
Last day of the trek and only formality is left of completion – Legendary Dzongri & Goecha La Trek. We decide to start as per previous day plannings from Tsokha camp-site.
Got up around 6:00 AM and freshen-up at Tsokha. Had morning breakfast and packed lunch served to us cos it’s going to be long walk in the Kanchendzongha National Park. Since it’s last day, Informed Rhik to take farewell group pic at Tsokha camp-site before leaving around 8:30 AM.
After final group photo, started around 8:30 AM. It was easy descent all the way and reached Bakhim around 9:15 AM. Had famous High Altitude Milk Coffee and left Bakhim at 10:00 AM to trek start point Yuksum. We descended down to 4th bridge of Prek Chu then it was Strenuous ascent of 30 minutes followed by up & down trail inside KNP.
It was fascinating walk inside dense forest of Kanchendzongha National Park and I walked very fast. It was solo trek for me inside KNP and reached Sachen camp-site half an hourly then other fellow team mates. Time is around 11:50 AM when I reached Sachen and waited for others to join me. Fellow tent mate Richard struggling with Knee problem it made everyone’s journey slower one. Around 12:15 PM, every one joined me at Sachen camp-site and took much needed lunch break of 20 minutes.
It was 12:45 PM when we started again from Sachen. I informed Rhik that I will move ahead and try to finish trek as early as possible. This is how I always trek during final phase of any Himalayan Trek. It was solo walk inside dense forest of Kanchendzongha National Park again for me. Second time in a day 😛
Reached 2nd Bridge around 1:50 PM. Started to Yuksum post 10 minutes break to at 2:00 PM. From here it is interesting journey with 2 time(2006 & 2008) Everester from Kalimpong Mr. Didi Bhutiya. Reached 1st Bridge at 3:15 PM.
A memorable walk with 2 time Everester from 2nd Bridge to Yuksum.
Dzongri & Goecha La Trek is the only Himalayan trek where I met many Americans, Germans, Australians, IPS officers, Everester’s and more of Bengali’s… This trek is famous in Bengali circle. Either Goecha La or Sandakphu is their first Himalayan Trek.
On last day of Dzongri & Goecha La Trek, I was trekking all alone and walking very fast to reach Yuksum leaving my team mates behind. Untill 2nd bridge I was all alone and finally I met 50 year old, 2 time(2006 & 2008) Everester from Kalimpong Mr. Didi Bhutiya. He is trekking with 9 IPS officers & 1 Doctor.
A lovely human being. I had fantastic conversation with him till Yuksum. He explained me his experience in Mountains & his Everest expedition experience.
Moral of this topic is I strongly recommend people who are capable of doing Himalayan Treks, please go for it. It is great platform to meet new people and make new friends. Not only that it helps u to realize your potential to do something special in life.
Started at 3:30 PM from 1st Bridge to Yuksum with 2 IPC officers & 1 Doctor who are trekking with Mr. Didi Bhutiya and reached trek start point at Yuksum around 4:00 PM.
Bid adeiu to these people and moved towards HOTEL GOECHALA VALLEY. Myself reached HOTEL GOECHALA VALLEY at Yuksum around 5:00 PM. Shifted to room and had much needed Bath in the evening after 9 days 😛
Had Beer followed by dinner at GUPTA RESTAURANT. Rhik bidden adieu to us and we all moved to HOTEL GOECHALA VALLEY and slept with Cab drive to NJP is awaiting us 🙂