Adventure group: Bangalore AdvenTurers (BAT) – Website link: www.bangaloreadventurers.com
Event date: 15th & 16th August 2015
Team size: 21 Adventurers
Trek distance: Around 26 to 29 Kms. in 2 days.
Note: Those who trekked from Balagal to Mullodi Homestay, trek distance for them will be additional 7 Kms. i.e. around 35 Kms.
Trek Plan: Leave Bengaluru around 8:00 PM on Friday night.
First day itinerary:
- Reach Balagal early in the morning around 4:00 – 4:30 AM and take jeep ride to Mullodi Homestay.
- Freshen-up at homestay and take parcel for lunch.
- Start trek to Kudremukh Peak around 8:00 AM.
- Reach the peak by 12:00 PM and relax.
- Come back to Homestay and have some fun activities.
- Dinner and sleep.
Second day itinerary:
- Wake-up early in the morning and freshen-up.
- Have breakfast at 7:00 AM.
- Start back to Balagal on Jeep at 7:30 AM.
- Once all of us reach Balagal on jeep, head towards Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple.
- After darshan, have lunch at the temple.
- Leave around 2:00 PM and reach Bengaluru by 10 PM.
Difficulty level: Moderate to difficult since we are trekking in monsoon & continuous steep ascent at final phase of the trek.
Nearest town is Kalasa (Around 14.5 Kms. from Balagal Mullodi Road)
Distance from different cities:
- Bengaluru: Around 330 Kms. (Bengaluru to Balagal Mullodi Road)
- Mangaluru: Around 111 Kms. (Mangaluru to Balagal Mullodi Road)
How to reach the place:
- From Bengaluru, Take following route to trek start point Balagal Mullodi Road: Bengaluru –> Hassan –> Mudigere –> Kottigehara –> Balagal Mullodi Road
- From Mangaluru, Take following route to trek start point Balagal Mullodi Road: Mangaluru –> Moodbidri –> Bajegoli –>Balagal Mullodi Road
KMs distances noted for the reference:
- Bengaluru –> Hassan –> Mudigere –> Kottigehara –> Balagal Mullodi Road is 330 Kms.
- Mangaluru –> Moodbidri –> Bajegoli –>Balagal Mullodi Road is 111 Kms.
- Balagal Mullodi Road to Kalasa is 14.5 Kms.
- Balagal Mullodi Road to Amba Thirtha is 16.5 Kms.
- Balagal Mullodi Road to Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple is 21.2 Kms.
- Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple –> Kalasa –> Kottigehara –> Mudigere –> Hassan –> Bengaluru is 323 Kms.
- Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple –> Kalasa –> Bajegoli –> Moodbidri –> Mangaluru is 124 Kms.
Note: These are Kms. distances collected from google maps, it may change depends upon where do you start from Bengaluru / Mangaluru.
Mode of Transport to choose:
- If you hire a Tempo Traveler/ Mini Bus, it is easy to cover most of the places near Kalasa including many treks around Kudremukh National Park, Hanumana Gundi falls, Gangamoola, Sringeri & Hornadu Temples, Lakya Dam, etc…
- If you use public transport like private & govt. buses, you can’t cover much places. Everything you have to plan in advance so nothing goes wrong.
Best time to trek: Anytime of the year. Depends on weather conditions.
Kudremukh Peak trek is one of the dream treks in western ghats of Karnataka. Though i visited Kudremukh several times in my life, never did Kudremukh Peak trek. Kudremukh Peak is having highest altitude in Kudremukh National Park (KNP). Being a trekker, if you doesn’t conquer Kudremukh Peak makes your trekking career emptier one!
To know about my last visit, please see the link: Trekking in Kudremukh National Park
Heights of peaks inside Kudremukh National Park:
- Kudremukh Peak: 1892 meters
- Kurinjal Peak: 1159 meters
- Gangadikal Peak: 1455 meters
- Valikunja: 1039 meters
- Narasimha Parvata: 1150 meters
- Seetha Bhumi: 1473 meters
This is second 2 Day trek organised by Niranjan for his newly founded trekking group and 7th event of Bangalore AdvenTurers (BAT) in just span of 1 months time. As per event preparation mail, shortlisted participants should assemble at Shantala Silk house at Majestic by 7:45 PM. Niranjan decided to start early from Bengaluru by 8:00 PM, Reason behind this is to skip heavy traffic of Independence day weekend and reach Balagal by 4:00 AM in the Saturday morning. It will help us to reach Mullodi Homestay early in the morning and makes our hike to Kudremukh Peak comfortable one in-terms of time.
As usual, shortlisted participants made delayed presence at assembly point by 15 minutes. Mini Bus came around 8:00 PM and 19 of us started around 8:15 PM from Bengaluru. It was heavy traffic of Bengaluru weekend made our beginning bit hectic one. 2 of adventurers joined us at Yeshwanthpur Metro station and Guruguntepalya signal respectively. We had self-intro session inside Mini Bus and Co-organizer Rajat Chowdary briefed us about BAT agenda and trek plans. Later all of us rested for the day inside Mini Bus.
Day 1: 15th August 2015 (Saturday)
Day in brief:
It was 5:15 AM, when we reached Balagal Mullodi Road. Jeeps at Balagal already waiting for us to pick up and drop to Mullodi Homestay. Only 2 Jeeps available during monsoon season due to bad condition of Jeep trail and only 7 people can accommodate one jeep so 14 people had journey on jeep, rest of the 7 adventurers decided to trek till Mullodi Homestay which is around 7 Kms. from Balagal.
Myself prepared Jeep journey due to bad conditions of jeep trail. Both jeeps were reached by 6:15 AM to Mullodi home stay. Rest of the guys who trekked on jeep trail reached half an hour late. All of us freshen up and had breakfast at Mullodi Rajappa house. Puliyogare was already packed for lunch. We all started our Independence day hike to Kudremukh Peak around 8:00 AM from Mullodi Rajappa house with our guide for the day Shankarappa (Shankar Gowda).
Kudremukh Peak Trek:
Altitude: 1892 meters
I can divide Kudremukh Peak trek into 2 phases:
- First phase is all about crossing small forest routes with 8 to 9 small streams en route.
- Second phase is Steep ascent during final climb to the peak.
Photo Journey of Kudremukh Peak Trek
Initial phase of trek is pretty easiest one and it starts with forest house at beginning of the trek. After this forest office, we have to cross first stream which will take us to famous Mullodi Onti Mara. Trekkers can take break here and relax. We all took small break and took snaps too.
After 10 minutes of break, we all continued our walk. It was beautiful green meadows of Kudremukh National Park, Enchanting Green painted views of Erumaleguppi & Thirumaleguppi Peaks on left side of trail, 8 to 9 small streams, Leech bites, Hide n seek game played by rain giving us real monsoon trekking experience.
I was fully prepared for this trek with my DSLR to capture beauty of Kudremukh National Park in my camera. Two eyes are not enough to see the beauty of KNP in monsoon. Simply breathtaking!!! It will turn into heavenly place during Monsoon season.
Second phase of the trek is continuous steep ascent and bit challenging one too. It is sheer test of your patience and stamina. Even a experienced trekker with long break will find difficult to climb. I felt really tired at second phase though we carried light backpack to the top. I felt dehydrated even with great fitness level. It was one of challenging hikes for me after long time.
Finally, we made it to the top by 12:30 PM in the noon. It took us 4 and half hours to conquer Kudremukh Peak from Mullodi Homestay on day India got independence around 69 years back :). Relaxed for one hour. Had our lunch and took many group photos on the peak. I took India flag so we can click photos at Peak with national flag and celebrate our Independence day in unique way.
Around 1:30 PM, We all started to descend from Kudremukh Peak. Getting back or descending is nothing but formalities of completing treks. It was relaxed return journey for 21 Adventurers while getting back to homestay. All of us took plenty of pics while returning.
Reached Mullodi Homestay around 5:45 PM in the evening. Onion pakoda is already prepared for our post trek snacks. All of us had Onion pakoda and Tea/Coffee at homestay. Most of us tired due to the long day at Mountains so few of them played dumb charades while others took rest. Had dinner around 8:30 PM and rested for the day at 9. Meanwhile Day 2 plans were finalized and we took universal decision to skip Hanumana Gundi falls visit due to heavy rains and monsoon season.
Highlights for the day:
- Early morning jeep ride from Balagal to Mullodi Homestay.
- Less amount of leeches though it is a monsoon season. As per our guide Shankarappa, September and October months were we can witness hell number of leeches at valley.
- Amazing weather thoughout the day! Expect 1 or 2 drizzles during the trek it was clear weather throughout the day.
- Beautiful Landscapes of Kudremukh National Park.
- Enchanting green painted views of Erumaleguppi and Thirumaleguppi Peaks.
- Amazing views of the green meadows at KNP. Greenery everywhere!!!
- 8 to 9 small streams during initial phase of the trek.
- Continuous steep ascent during final phase of the trek.
Day 2: 16th August 2015 (Sunday)
Day in brief:
Day 2 plans were to start early in the morning from Mullodi Homestay so we can reach Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple by 12:00 PM. Have darshan and leave for Bengaluru around 2:00 PM.
As per plan, all of us wake-up one by one early in the Sunday morning and freshen-up. Had breakfast around 7:00 AM. Jeeps were came to homestay at 7:30 AM. We all started in Jeeps to get back to Balagal. I was in first jeep and we are first to reach down, then one by one 2 jeeps came.
Started from Balagal around 9:30 AM in the morning, as suggested by one of trek mate we all decided to explore Amba Theertha. Reached the place around 10:00 AM, had walk to Amba Theertha which was nearly 2 and half Kms. away from main road. Explored the place and returned to Mini Bus.
Amba Theertha: This is a water spot on river Bhadra, where the river narrows down to a few meters. The river has a short rocky bed, the continuous rush of water has left interesting carvings on the rocks. Locals advice people to be careful entering the water due to strong under currents and whirl pools. One would need a 4 wheel drive (available at Kalasa town) to reach here. This place is about 5 Kms from Kalasa town.
Amba Theertha is named after goddess Parvathi. This place has a etching on the rocks where the Pandavas and draupadi are shown with Akshaya Pathra.
Reached Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple around 11:45 AM.
Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple: Hornadu (Kannada: ಹೊರನಾಡು) is a Hindu holy locale and panchayat village located in Chickmagalur district, Karnataka, India. The deity at the Annapoorneshwari Temple at Hornadu is Annapurneshwari. The main deity of the goddess was put in place by Adi Shankaracharya; the new deity of goddess Annapurneshwari was consecrated in the temple in 1973.
For more information, visit the link: Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple
Had darshan of Annapoorneshwari Devi and lunch (Prasadam) at temple. Started back to Bengaluru at 2:00 PM as planned, on the way visited Hallimane at Hornadu and had special juice.
While returning to Bengaluru, had feedback session and fun activities inside Mini Bus. Reached Bengaluru around 10:30 PM in the night and departed to our places.
Highlights for the day:
- Jeep ride from Mullodi Home stay to Balagal.
- Visit to Amba Theertha.
- Hornadu Annapoorneshwari Temple.
- A special visit to Halli mane of Hornadu to have special juice.
- Fun activities inside Mini Bus while returning to Bengaluru.
Contact Person and Guide details:
Please find contact details of Mullodi Homestay, Guides and Jeep drivers below; which might help to plan trek in Kudremukh National Park.
Mullodi Homestay: Mullodi House, Balgal, Samse PO, Mudigere Tq.
- Raju Gowda(Rajappa) Mobile: 9481179008
Guide details: Please find contact details of few guides below:
- Aruna M.L. Mobile: 9481578065, 8277279970 Phone: 08263 -214235
- Shankar Gowda (Shankarappa) Mobile: 9482493167
Jeep Driver details: Please contact below jeep driver. He will help you in reaching Mullodi Homestay.
- Jeenendra Mobile: 8277279972
Since we trekked in Monsoon season, valley is turned into heavenly place on earth with Greenery everywhere. Kudremukh Peak trek was in my to do bucket list since i haven’t hiked this peak before. It was turned into Amazing event with weather was clear throughout the day on 15th August 2015 (Saturday). Thanks to Niranjan & BAT for organizing one of the most beautiful western ghat treks this monsoon and all of us enjoyed to the core!!!