Kuppali: Kuppali is a small village in Thirthahalli taluk of Shimoga district in the state of Karnataka in India. It is famous for being the birthplace and childhood home of the renowned Kannada playwright and poet Kuvempu. Indeed, this pen-name Kuvempu pays homage to the author’s home, created as it is from the first letters from his full name “Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa” (Venkatappa being his father’s name). Kuppali is also the birthplace of Poornachandra Tejaswi, the son of Kuvempu and a famous Kannada writer himself. It is also the place where Kuvempu and Poornachandra Tejaswi have been cremated. The childhood home of Kuvempu at Kuppali has been converted into a museum by Rashtrakavi Kuvempu Pratishtana (a trust dedicated to Kuvempu). This trust has undertaken immense developmental works in Kuppali to showcase Kuvempu and his works to the external world.
For more information, visit the link : Kuppali
Visited date during the event: 5th September 2015
Distance from different cities:
- Bengaluru: Around 332.7 Kms. (Bengaluru to Kuppali)
- Mangaluru: Around 152.1 Kms. (Mangaluru to Kuppali)
- Shimoga: Around 80 kms. (Shimoga to Kuppali)
- Thirthahalli: Around 18 kms. (Thirthahalli to Kuppali)
Note: These are Kms. distances collected from google maps, it may change depends upon where do you start.
To visit places at Kuppali:
- Kalaniketana where pictutes captured by Kuvempu’s son Poornachandra Tejaswi kept for exhibition
- Poornachandra Tejaswi memorial in Kuppali
- Kavisamadhi at Kavishaila
- Sunset at Kavishaila
Poornachandra Tejaswi’s memorial, Kuppali
Finally, before leaving Kuppali all of us witnessed sunset at Kavishaila. Kavishaila is ideal place to spend evening with your loved ones and must visit places at Kuppali!