Trek date during WINTER TREK to PANGARCHULLA PEAK via KUARI PASS: 28th December 2015 (Monday)
Trek distance: Around 6 Kms.
Time taken: Around 3 and half hours.
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Highlights during the trek:
- Dhak, Tugasi, Reni, Jugju, Karsun, Tapovan & many villages of Nanda Devi National Park of Chamoli District.
- Magnicifent views of Mt. Dronagiri, Hathi & Gori Parvat.
- High altitude mountains on both sides of trail.
- View of Dhauliganga river.
- Snowcapped mountains on both sides of trail.
- Himalayan origin trees at camp-site and narrow trails during day trek.
- Trekking gyan from our guide Dev Singh and his himalayan trek experiences.
- Trek organizer Achintya Kundu’s briefing on his recent himalyan experience of Auden’s Col & Barabhangal trek at camp-fire.
Challenges: Steep ascent during the day from Dhak to Gulling camp-site.
Altitude Meter: Please find altitude details for the day below:
- Joshimath comes around 1890 Mtr.
- Trek start point Dhak village comes around 2000 Mtr.
- Remote Tugasi village comes around 2012 Mtr.
- Dhak : First village and trek start point during Kuari Pass or Pangarchulla Peak trek if you start trek from Dhak village side. Population of Dhak village is around 150 in numbers.
- Tugasi: Village will be be part of 1st day trek if you start from Dhak towards Gulling camp-site. Population of Tugasi village is around 300 in numbers.
Day in brief:
After epic cab journey to Joshimath from Haridwar, 28th December 2015 suppose to be 1st day of our winter trek. As per our guide Dev Sirji’s instructions, we all woke-up around 7:00 AM and freshen-up. Had our breakfast at Hotel New Star Restaurant & Guest House at Upper Bazaar area, Joshimath. As per previous day briefing on the trek, packed our rucksacks as per 5 days need and rest of the things dropped at Joshimath.
Started towards trek start point Dhak village around 8:30 AM on 2 cabs. It was around 3 Kms. of cab drive took us to Dhak village.
Reached Dhak village around 8:50 AM and started our trek to first camp-site of the winter trek Gulling at 9:00 AM.
Breathtaking views around the place is main attraction and it already gave us glimpse of what is in offering for the day! Initial phase is walk on jeep trail from Dhak village later narrow trails all the way till second pit stop. Since our group is more of first timers to himalayas, few of them struggled to hike initial phase in the day due to under preparation before the trek. There were 3 pit stops and Tugasi village during the trek before reaching the Gulling camp-site.
Mt. Dronagiri and Dhauliganga river is clearly visible throughout the trek till Gulling camp-site. Crossing Tugasi village gave us little idea of how life is in the mountains. We could see little snow throughout the trek which is melting slowly due to bright sunshine at valley. Our guide told me that it snowed on 23rd December around the place and due to sunshine 90% of snow was melted rapidly.
It was 12:00 PM, when we reached 3rd pit stop and all of us hungry due to early breakfast in the morning. One of trek crew bought packed lunch for us at 3rd pit stop. Had Aloo Paratha & Sabji for lunch.
After 45 minutes of lunch break, started again towards Gulling camp-site. It was nearby and reached camp-site around 1:30 PM.
Pitched our tents and few guys roamed around the place. Had evening tea followed by snacks at 4:00 PM. Explored the place and took many memorable pics…
Mt. Dronagiri, Pangarchulla & Mini Pangarchulla peak was clearly visible from the camp-site. Tried experimenting with my camera Nikon D3100 as usual and clicked some classic pics.
Since day is small, it was dark by 5:45 PM. With the help of trek crew, all of us collected woods for camp-fire. Had camp-fire to negotiate winter weather of Uttarakhand. Soup came has starter before dinner around 6:00 PM. Had dinner around 7:00 PM. Had Self-intro session at camp-fire followed by our guide Dev Sirji’s trekking gyan and experience in the himalayan mountains. Trek organizer Achintya Kundu briefed us about his recent experience of Auden’s Col & Barabhangal trek at camp-fire.
Around 8:00 PM, I moved towards tent and rested for the day.
Gulling was small and beautiful camp-site with breathtaking views of Mt. Nanda Devi(East), Mt. Dronagiri, Pangarchulla and Mini Pangarchulla peaks.
Temperature: Dipped to Max -6 degree Celsius at night.