Trek date during WINTER TREK to PANGARCHULLA PEAK via KUARI PASS: 29th December 2015 (Tuesday)
Trek distance: Around 7 to 8 Kms.
Time taken: Around 5 hours.
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
Highlights during the trek:
- Chitrakatha camp-site which can be used as alternative camp-site.
- Small streams en-route which can be used to store drinking water during the trek.
- Dense forest with Pine and other type of himalayan trees.
- Trails full of snow.
- Slippery trails with snow turned into icy fields at some patches.
- Welcome drink by local guide Puran Sirji at Khulara camp-site.
- Reaching main camp-site of the winter trek Khulara and pitching tent on snow.
- Magnificent views of Mt. Neelkanth, Mt. Dronagiri and many other mountains from Khulara camp-site.
- Evening walk to collect woods for camp-fire around camp-site.
- Big, Beautiful and open space of Khulara meadows.
Challenges: Trek inside dense forest on snowy trails makes day bit challenging one.
Altitude Meter: Please find altitude details for the day below:
- Beautiful Chitrakatha camp-site comes around 1890 Mtr.
- Khulara meadows comes around 2896 Mtr.
Day in brief:
Main agenda of 2nd day was to reach main camp-site of winter trek Khulara so we can start early on 3rd day morning towards Pangarchulla Peak. All of us got up around 7:00 AM and freshen-up. Trek crew aka cooks of the trek Birendar Singh Rana and team prepared Poori & Bhaji for the breakfast. Had breakfast and packed our luggages, tents.
Started our journey towards next camp-site Khulara around 9:00 AM. It was 200 meters of continuous steep ascent at initial phase of the day made our journey tiring one. Small streams can be witnessed inside the dense forest which can be used to store drinking water. After walk inside dense forest followed by small ascent will take us to Chitrakatha camp-site. It can be used as camp-site, if you are attempting Kuari Pass only and would like to stretch trek for a day.
Relaxed for 15 minutes and took many group pics along with group selfies at Chitrakatha camp-site. Continued our journey towards Khulara camp-site.
Note: If you take left at Chitrakantha camp-site, it will take you to Khulara camp-site and right will take to Tali camp-site.
We took left and moved towards Khulara camp-site. It was bit lengthy stretch then till Chitrakatha camp-site from Gulling. Dense forest with trails full of snow made our trek to Khulara adventurous one!!! It was completely new trail as per our guide Dev Singh and never attempted before by any group to reach Khulara. We made our own trails on snow and reached Khulara camp-site around 2:00 PM.
Local guide Puran Sirji welcomed us with welcome drink Rooh afza at Khulara camp-site. Had veg biryani for lunch. All of us pitched our tents on snowy field of Khulara.
At 4:00 PM, started walk towards forest to collect woods for camp-fire. Returned with woods and had camp-fire at camp-site.
Had soup followed by dinner and rested for the day around 8:00 PM. Guide suggested us to have early sleep so we can start 3rd day early in the morning around 7:00 AM. It will help us to reach Pangarchulla summit before the noon.
Note: We will not encounter any remote villages during the 2nd days trek.
Khulara camp-site is used as base camp-site for our trek to Pangarchulla Peak and it was near by Kuari Pass which is nearly 2 Kms. from camp-site. Camp-site is Big and Beautiful. It offers magnificent views of Mt. Neelkanth, Mt. Dronagiri, Hathi & Ghori Parbat, many other mountains of Nanda Devi National Park, Uttarakhand.
Temperature: Dipped to Max -10 degree Celsius at night.