My first winter trek to Himalayas is one of the best trekking experience of my life. It was my last moment decision to register for Har Ki Dun winter trek with INDIAHIKES. I already registered for Prashar Lake trek with IH and flight tickets yet to book for 24th January extended weekend for Delhi from Bangalore. Finally, extended my leaves and booked for Har Ki Dun winter trek with IH.
HAR KI Dun: Har Ki Dun is a cradle shaped valley set at an elevation of 3,566 meters above sea level. Being one of the remotest places to visit in Uttarakhand, Har Ki Dun offers virgin beauty and is one of the most beautiful places of India offering numerous trekking excursions. Har Ki Dun valley lies in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand state, very close to the border of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Rupin Pass Trek from Daula village near Har Ki Dun takes the travelers from Uttarakhand to Himachal Pradesh and Rupin Pass trek ends up at Sangla in Himachal Pradesh. The trek from Taluka to Har Ki Dun is graded easy. This trek goes through some of the most isolated villages of India which are still unaffected by the civilization. The people of this region are very simple and friendly. The trekking path steadily ascends the side of the ridge across the river offering enchanting views of the majestic Himalayas. Shepherds come to this region for moths to graze their animals on the rolling grass.
LEGEND of Har Ki Dun: Har Ki Dun lies in the valley of the majestic Swargarohini peak. It is believed that Yudhisthir of the Mahabharata was sent to heaven with the dog from this peak. The ancestors of the people of this region have great influence of the characters of the Mahabharata. The ancestors of this area and its surroundings were said to be under the reign of the Kauravas and Pandavas, the mythological royal warriors and kings in the epic Mahabharatha. The people in the Mori are followers of Kauravas, considered as anti-heroes in epic Mahabharatha.
Trekking group: INDIAHIKES – Website link: www.indiahikes.in
Event date: 24th to 31st January 2015
Team size: 24 members
Trek distance: Around 75 Kms. both ways
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
HAR KI DUN WINTER TREK TEAM
Trek Itinerary: Please find trek itinerary for Har Ki Dun winter trek according to INDIAHIKES website.
Day 1: Pick up from Dehradun railway station at 6.30 AM. Drive to Sankri – 10 to 11 hours
Day 2: Sankri to Taluka – 12 Kms. – 5 to 6 hours
Day 3: Taluka to Osla – 14 Kms. – 6 to 7 hours
Day 4: Osla to Har Ki Dun – 11 Kms. – 5 to 6 hours
Day 5: Har Ki Dun to Jaundhar (Jamdar) Glacier & back to camp 15 Kms. – 7 hours
Day 6: Har Ki Dun to Osla – 11 Kms. – 3 hours
Day 7: Osla to Sankri – 26 Kms. – 7 to 8 hours
Day 8: Drive back to Dehradun. Reach by 7:00 or 8:00 PM
Due to heavy snow fall on 26th & 29th January 2015, Heavy snow at Har Ki Dun camp site (Around 3 to 4 feet of snow according to Local-ides), High winter session at northern part of India and huge team size: Organizers decided to trek till and around Osla village then get back. Yes, we couldn’t make to Har Ki Dun still all of us had Memorable and Lifetime experience!!! This trek is the best experience of life for each and every participants during beautiful journey. We are arguably most luckiest batch of Har Ki Dun winter trek this year with snow throughout the trek 🙂 🙂 🙂
Please find the blog links for day wise Har Ki Dun winter trek experience below:
Day 1: Journey to Sankri
Day 2: Trek from Sankri to Gangad via Taluka
Day 3: Trek from Gangad to Osla via Chillar Ghat
Day 4: Trek around Osla village
Day 5: Trek from Osla to Chillar Ghat
Day 6: Trek from Chillar Ghat to Bidaka
Day 7: Trek from Bidaka to Sankri via Taluka
Himalayan treks in offering at this part of the Uttarakhand: N number of treks can be done at Garhwal region of Himalayas but i have listed few of them only here.
- Har Ki Dun Trek – Base campsite is Sankri.
- Kedarkanta Trek – Base campsite is Sankri.
- Rupin Pass Trek – Base campsite is Daula which is just 12 Kms. before Sankri. One can take left at Natwar check post and move towards Daula village.
- Bali Pass – Ruinsera Lake Trek – One can cross Bali Pass En route Yamunothri trek.
- Yamunothri Trek – Around 90 Kms. from Seema village.
Highlights during Har Ki Dun winter trek:
- Experienced long walk on snow trails.
- Snow caped mountains & trails everywhere.
- First snow fall experience of my life.
- 26th & 29th January witnessed heavy snowfall.
- 29th January camp site Bidaka turned out heaven on earth during snowfall.
- Beautiful & Breathtaking Landscapes of Garhwal region of Himalays.
- Camping in snow for 2 days.
- My first experience with INDIAHIKES is most memorable one. Thanks to amazing crew of IH!!!
- Thanks to Trek lead Saranbir Singh for being great mentor for each and every participant of the trek. He is most liked person of the trek 😛 😛 😛
- Thanks to cook Kumaresh for yummy and hygienic food during the trek. Also thanks to great support crew of IH for their love and care during the trek.
- Thanks to Magnificent 24 trekkers come friends who has been inspiring and caring throughout the trek. All of them are Gem of this trek and made this journey beautiful one!!!